I’ve spent the afternoon poring over my photos for the anti-fracking movement assignment. 934 of them! I only need 10.
I’ve previously gone through my assignment shortlisting and selection workflow so won’t repeat all that here. In summary:
- I got the 934 down to a longlist of 152 in the first pass
- Then I judged the 152 against the ‘shooting script‘ that I’d drafted
- To get it down to a shortlist of 15
- With each image earmarked for a ‘slot’ in the final photo essay
I now need to get the 15 down to 10.
There are three identifiable phases to the story:
- Beginning: the early days – small, parochial, piecemeal protest groups
- Middle: the comms campaign – spreading the word to outlying towns
- End: consolidation – multiple local groups mobilise together into a mass demo
So here are my candidate photos per phase, along with how many images I plan to include.
If anyone reading this has any feedback, please let me know!
Note: there will be a little caption text to help set context – at the moment I’m just thinking about the visual flow of the images.
Beginning – pick 3 out of these 5
Middle – pick 2 out of these 4
End – pick 5 out of these 6
So, my original edit from the above was this:
Some kind folk on the OCA Facebook group offered their edits, which I mocked up (note, not everyone picked 10):
Based on these I identified the most popular overall:
And based on the three-part structure I worked out that the ‘consensus’ version would be as below:
I found the overall exercise to be extremely useful. It helped me to identify which images worked best, both individually and as part of an overall narrative flow.
After doing this, I realised that a couple of images that I’d been quite attached to were really not that popular!
I’ve been finalising the edit today and have actually revisited the longlist to make a few swaps: I’ve:
- Selected an alternative version of one of the images
- Recropped one from landscape to portrait
- Replaced two entirely.
Part of this was down to laying out the set in a book format – it makes you think more about things like pacing, spacing and format ratio (portrait vs landscape).
I think I might be about ready to finalise this and write it up.