Ideas so far
My early thinking on this assignment only produced a few theme ideas:
With hindsight the latter two only sprang to mind after I’d seen a bunch of war medals in a charity shop window, and I’m not at all clear whether I could come up with another seven executions!
I did consider some other concepts, a mixture of positive, negative and neutral:
- Danger, Fear
- Love, Connection
I also looked at examples from other students:
- Silence, Legacy, Memory, Hope, Isolation, Abuse, Depression, Absence
At one point I remembered that an abandoned concept for one of my Level 1 assignments was the Seven Deadly Sins!
- Pride, Greed, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Wrath, Sloth
This in turn led to looking at their lesser-known counterparts, the Seven Virtues:
- Humility, Charity, Chastity, Kindness, Temperance, Patience, Diligence
In the end I decided that neither the Vices nor the Virtues were really connecting with me in any meaningful way right now so I put them on the back burner.
After much thought I have narrowed it down to two potential themes: Loss and Danger. They are both at the negative end of the emotional scale but I think that (a) gives scope for more interesting shots and (b) fits better with doing the assignment in B&W, which is my preference.
- The first idea I had, and the one that I have most execution concepts for
- Could be very serious or could be a broader blend of darker and lighter (or at least darkly humorous) executions
- Overall mood would be calm, still, contemplative
- A recent idea, so I have fewer specific execution concepts!
- Inspired, I think, by the Moriyama/Petersen/Sobol work I’ve been looking at recently
- I envisage close-ups of dangerous scenes/situations
- Overall mood would be foreboding, visceral
- I’m less sure that I can produce eight such images – without actually putting myself in real danger! (something I don’t intend to do)
I’m going to:
- Try some dummy shots for both Loss and Danger over the weekend
- Brainstorm more execution ideas for each
- Then make up my mind